2-step verification also known as two-factor authentication is an additional layer of security to your accounts.
What is 2- step verification?
Two-step verification is a process that requires two authentication steps, done one after the other to ensure whoever is requesting access is really who they say they are. It helps by making it difficult for someone else to sign in to your account. It uses forms of identification, one is your password and the other one is a contact method. This is usually a code sent to you directly through SMS or by a voice call. In case an unknown person is trying to access your account this 2-step verification is very secure. It is also very important to always use different passwords for different accounts.
Note: Once you turn on 2-step verification you will always need two forms of identification to log in to your account, this means if you forget your password you will need 2 contact methods and if you lose your contact method your password alone is not enough. It may take 30 days to regain access to your account.
Turn on 2-step verification for your Hotmail account
Firstly, before getting into turning on a 2-step verification, you will need two different email addresses. One email is what you would normally use and the other is a backup. You also need to provide a phone number or an authentication app.
Steps to turn on 2-step verification are as follows:
Step 2: Click on turn on two-step verification under Two-step verification
Step 3: Select “set up 2-step verification” in the additional security options page
Step 4: You might be required to enter your login credentials again to verify your identity before making changes. Enter your password and click on sign in.
Step 5: Now you can select whether to send the code to your phone or alternate email address. The fastest way is setting up to have the code sent to your phone by clicking on “Get it now”.
Step 6: Enter your phone number and select “Text” or “Call” and click on next.
Step 7: Enter the code you received and click on next, and then next again on the page that comes after.
Step 8: Lastly, click on “Finish” for successfully implementing 2-step verification.
Common issues with 2-step verification
I forgot my phone
This is a very common problem. It is a mistake that anyone can make but if you don’t have your phone you cannot log into your account without the security code that will be sent to your phone. In case you have a second phone number added for eg: your office phone number, you could use that to gain access to your account. If you don’t have any other numbers added and don’t have your phone too, you will need to contact the help desk.
The am not receiving the verification code
This is a very common problem usually related to your mobile and it’s settings. Here are some steps you can follow if you are having trouble getting your code
- Restart your phone– At times your phone just needs to be refreshed. This will stop any background processes that may be getting in the way.
- Make sure all your security information is right– Make sure the number you have given is the correct number or else all the codes will get sent to the incorrect number. Don’t worry the person receiving the alerts on that number won’t be able to do anything with them.
- Check whether your notifications are turned on– Make sure the notifications option is turned on, on your device. This will allow you to receive codes from authentication apps and through messages.
- Turn off “Do not disturb”– Check to make sure they do not disturb feature isn’t turned on in your device. If it is turned on, you will not receive any alerts on your phone.
- Check your battery settings- This one may sound a little different, but if you set up your battery saving mode to stop lesser-used apps from remaining active in the background, you may not receive your alerts. To try to fix this problem, turn off battery saving mode for your authentication app and your messaging app, and then try signing in to your account again.
No prompts for two-step verification
If you logged in to your work or any other account using your user name and password, but haven’t been prompted about your additional security verification information, it might be that you haven’t set up your device yet. Your mobile device needs to be specifically set up to work with your 2-step security verification method.
I got a new phone number, how do I add 2 step verification to this?
If you got a new phone number you will need to change your existing details, in the add or change your phone number settings option.